About Ferris Dental
Dr. James S. Ferris joined his father’s practice in the summer of 1982, having just graduated from his father's alma mater, Loyola University, Chicago College of Dental Surgery. James' father, Dr. John F. Ferris, had been practicing dentistry in Sterling since he graduated in 1949.
Over the years our practice has grown through referrals from our terrific patients to whom we are very grateful. Throughout that time we have continuously remained up to date on the latest technologies and procedures which have made modern dental treatment much more comfortable and natural appearing.
- Early adopter of the use of intraoral cameras for better diagnosis of conditions
- Computerized scheduling
- Fully digital X-ray imaging and records management
- Advanced oral cancer detection screening
- Certified invisalign™ provider
- Invisible braces as well as conventional orthodontics
- Customized chairside porcelain shading for ideal matching to natural teeth
- Automated endodontics for rapid, more comfortable root canal treatments
- Immediate placement of dental implants for severely damaged teeth
- Elimination of loose dentures
- We offer nitrous oxide to make our patients feel more comfortable
- More natural appearing partial dentures
- A customized program for maintaining whitest smile at no cost after a one-time set-up fee
- Individualized options for reducing sensitive teeth
- Oral Cancer screening
- Speakers program (providing knowledgeable speakers for community events or clubs)
- Fully trained registered dental hygienists in areas of periodontal therapy, anesthetic delivery, and individualized home care program design
- Chairside assistants with additional training in sealant placement, coronal polishing, and Nitrous Oxide monitoring
- Continuous educational courses for all staff members
Our efforts toward improving oral health care do not end at our doors. We are also involved in community activities.
- Carroll County Health Fair Oral Cancer and Dental Health Screenings
- Sauk Valley Health Fair Oral Cancer Screening
- Sauk Valley Senior Health Fair Exhibition
- Inservice program for nursing home care providers
- Sponsor of Music in Motion™ 5K run
- Sponsor of numerous 4-H programs
- Dental Health talks for grade school students at Montmorency, East Coloma and St. Mary’s grade schools
- Contributed time and equipment to start the Whiteside County Dental Health Clinic (Robert and Juanita Prescott Dental Clinic)
If you would be interested in having our office provide a speaker for your event on any
topic of dental interest (or even non-dental interest), call us at 815.625.6842
and we will arrange for a presentation to fit your needs.
About James S. Ferris D.D.S., P.C.
Following his father's 32 years of dental service in the Sauk Valley area, Dr. James Ferris continues the family tradition.
Dr. Ferris graduated with honors from Wartburg College, Waverly, Iowa, earning a bachelor of arts degree in chemistry. During his time in college he completed an internship at the National Bureau of Standards near Washington, D.C., where he performed research at the American Dental Association Research Unit analyzing the crystalline structure of hydroxyapatite, the main component of tooth enamel. This research led to two published papers and the added honor of being a finalist in the Hatton Awards Competition for excellence in dental research at an annual meeting of the International Association for Dental Research. He then received a National Science Foundation Scholarship from Northwestern University, Chicago, to perform research on the development of catalysts for chemical reactions.
Dr. Ferris received his doctorate of dental surgery from Loyola University, Chicago College of Dental Surgery and immediately joined his father in Sterling to form Ferris and Ferris Dentistry. After several years of practicing together, the senior Dr. Ferris decided the kid was capable of handling things on his own and retired to Texas, periodically returning to check up on things and help out where needed.
In addition to hundreds of hours of continuing education, Dr. Ferris has completed a two-year program in Orthodontics and is in an Implant Mentor Program at University Associates in Dentistry in Chicago where he studies under Dr. Russell Baer, a leader in dental implant surgery education.
Cosmetic enhancement of smiles through the use of advanced whitening and porcelain techniques are already under way with terrific results being achieved.